Local Spotlight: Joelle Blomberg






Tell me about yourself.

My name is Joelle. I am twenty one years old. I am a Cali girl. I am an optometrist technician by day and photographer by night. I am currently doing an internship to finish my degree. I will have my AA, Photography and Opt Tech degree by the end of this year. Come October, I will be getting married!

When is the wedding? Tell me about the plans.

October 2nd, 2011 is the date! My lovely husband to be, Jake, proposed on July 31st, 2010. Seems like a long engagement but the time sure flies, especially when you're doing a lot of diy projects. I was never one of those girls who had dreams of her wedding day, and knew exactly what she wanted.. so now that I am getting married my mind is all over the place with ideas and what I want. There is SO much to do, but it's thrilling.

Tell me about your personal style.

It is constantly changing. I truly wish I could just be a tacky mess every day. That is how I am most comfortable. I strive for comfort that is flattering but eclectic and edgy. If its simple, throw something in like a scarf or earrings or shoes that jazz it up.

What is your favorite thing about Des Moines?

When my parents told us we were moving here, we honestly had to look it up! We still receive letters from friends with Idaho on the envelope. Iowa screams farms and snow to most people. My favorite thing is that they Iowa is trying! New things are coming here and the art seems to be blossoming, or perhaps I am just getting more involved, but an effort is being made and that is very exciting! It does snow a lot though..

Do you have a blog or website? Tell me about it.

I do have a website. It badly needs updating but it is www.figmentartphoto.com. This is my photography website. I also have a blog, but it is not up and running yet. When it is, I will provide this info on my website.

I noticed you modeled sometimes. How did you get into modeling?

I have always loved getting my picture taken! But I would say it started when my friend, Jana, included me in a Vitae Design Collective (now located in the East Village) fashion show. It was totally nerve racking but loved it! I got to do a couple of those and then it kind of opened the door for me. I have a lot of amazing photographer friends that have used me for shoots and some design friends who have also helped. I have also been fortunate enough to get the opportunity to work with my friend, Emily Svec from Body by Svec for some events and shoots. Big thanks to Alyssa Smith, Ha-lim Park, Jana Rector, Trav McAvaddy, Emily Svec, Karla Conrad, Katie Glass, Ian Miller, Julie Punelli and all the girls at Vitae.. the list could go on and on :)

Do you think you'll continue doing it?

As long as I can!

What is the most interesting thing about you?

I am good at giving advice. People don't always listen, but I think I am pretty level headed about other people's problems. I am really indecisive and impulsive. I once bought a cat on impulse. I have become really honest, which I appreciate. I have a really big heart.

What do you think about the style in Des Moines?

I automatically think of people watching at the state fair. I feel like when a lot of people want to get fancy around here they hit up A&F, which I can appreciate sometimes.. but it gets a little bland sometimes. Like I said before, I feel like people are trying and I remember in high school having to drive hours away for school shopping and now a lot more of it is accessible. I feel like the people I associate myself with have similar styles to me and so I see that most and it is good motivation.

Where do you get your inspiration from?

My sister just got married and she lives in NY, so NY is fresh in my mind. HUGE inspiration, from fashion to lifestyle. We didn't want to come back. I have been visiting some flea markets as well and I can always find interesting things there to build upon and make my own.

What is your ultimate goal in life?

To have my own photography business with my fiance. We are getting a head start on this, but if I could turn that from my "night" job to my DAY job I would be very content.

What are your passions?

My family, my marriage, my friends, my photography, my happiness.

What do you do with spare time that you do have?

Eat good food. Take pictures. Bake cupcakes. Dance party.

Is there anything you'd like my readers to know about you?

Be open minded and honest. Try things and take risks. I work really hard at maintaining an open mind and think you should too. :) 


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


I styled Joelle in this lovely pink floral Liberty of London for Target maxi dress with bright blue flats. We ventured into a park in Johnston and found this lovely little teepee and a small field. We decided to take pictures there.

Don't forget to enter my giveaway here! It will close tomorrow night at 11:59PM.


You can view her photography blog here and you can also go to my flickr to view more photos from the shoot.

Thoughts??
Powered by Blogger.