Proximity Press Release

Postcard First Choice

official postcard back

The Anderson Gallery at Drake University will be hosting an exhibition entitled Proximity, featuring new work by four graduating senior Bachelor of Fine Arts students; Meanz Chan, Aron Johnston, Cecily Pincsak, and Hannah Pink. This exhibit, representing the culmination of these students’ educational experiences at Drake University, will run from April 12th through the 28th. The exhibit will showcase art that reflects each of the four individual artists creative process and how these processes, from beginning to end, have been influenced by the close proximity (nearness in space, time, or relationship) in which they have studied and worked during their enrollment in Drake’s art and design program.

The student artists will show a combination of painting, drawing, printmaking, and graphic design work in this senior thesis exhibit, which is free and open to the public. The exhibit opens Friday, April 12th in the Anderson Gallery, located in the Harmon Fine Arts Center, 2505 Carpenter Ave., with an opening reception that evening from 5 to 7pm. Refreshments will be provided.

The Anderson Gallery is open Tuesday through Sunday 12 to 4pm, with extended hours on Thursdays until 8pm, and by appointment.

Each of the four exhibiting artists takes a different approach to their artist process:

chan_pr

Meanz Chan:
Through the use of fantastical elements and the juxtaposition of two-dimensional elements in three-dimensional space, I exaggerate and invent biological fauna and phenomena to create complex and curious situations. My work relies on the various media, textures and intimate detail to create a perplexing feeling.

aron

Aron Johnston:
I explore the relationship between created human environs and the natural environment, with a focus on charismatic mega-fauna and their struggles to exist in a human-dominated world whose technological advances have brought about changes that outpace many of their abilities to adapt. By combining imagery of animals, most of whom are currently endangered, with man-made elements of machinery or electronics I seek to point out the absurdity of our intervention, intentional or otherwise, in a global life system whose complexity and vastness is far greater than our understanding.

cecily

Cecily Pincsak:
Informed by my interests in literature and history and anchored by my background in graphic design, my recent work is an investigation of foibles, flaws, and folly. Through the pairing of word and image, I seek to capture the inherent humor and universality of human fallibility.

hannah

Hannah Pink:
Drawing has been a passion of mine since childhood, and it has been so rewarding to be able to transfer my love for creatures and critters onto paper," states Hannah Pink, a senior Drawing and Graphic Design double major from Peoria, Illinois. "I create works of art that are compelling and push the viewer into the details, rather than focusing on the bigger concept. I want my artwork to help people grow a deeper appreciation for the wildlife that surrounds our everyday lives.

* This is our official press release for the show! If you are in the Des Moines area, I hope you make it to the opening, and if not I hope you stop by to see the show at some point while it's up. A big thank you to Cecily for designing the postcards and to Aron for writing the press release and getting it out there. Be sure to click through to each artist's website to see more of their work!

** I updated my website last night/this morning with a whole new lot of photos of my design work, be sure to look through! I'm pretty proud of what I've accomplished in the past couple of days. Click here to view my website.
Powered by Blogger.