Why scream?

ice cream

It's been a while since I've posted any of my own work on here (well I deleted a post that featured my work recently). It's something that I have been thinking about for a long time. I have been wrestling with the idea of either integrating my own art and design work into this current blog or starting a whole new one for that specific topic. It's been an idea I've been contemplating for probably over a year now. I have always wanted this blog to be more of a lifestyle blog any way but I feel like lately it's turned mostly into a style blog that has small spurts of updates from time to time and I'm not sure how I feel about it. So, today I am going to start integrating my art and design work with this blog, just to see how it goes. You will hopefully be seeing more of a variety of posts with now, with some spurts of style posts of course! I just wanted to let you all know, so that there would be no surprise when the content shifts a little bit!

Be sure to follow me along on instagram too, you'll get to see my latest updates on daily life and such that will no longer be published on this blog, for the most part.

On to the works I show above:

I have been looking for ways to bridge my art and design for a really long time. Probably since I started at Drake in 2011. I would finally like to say that I have succeeded. I integrated my love of ice cream (+ girly things) and my fascination with insects into one creation. Using a drawing I created a while back along with manipulating and multiplying the image, I created an ice cream cone. Then, utilizing a variety of two dimensional imagery within three dimensional space, some digitially and some physically, I am able to created a complex sense of spacial relationships. This image is also meant to pose the question, Why do we scream? The idea stemmed from the popular phrase, "I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream". We all scream either out of delight or fear. This idea in a way explains my own confusion of how I've gone from a terrible fear of insects to a pretty intense fascination of them. I am creating something indulgent to conquer my own fear of insects and turning something normally seen as aggressive into an object of desire, creating a softer re-imagining of these insects. I also love the idea of creating work that is fantastical and imaginative, which comes out in this work, I believe.

Thoughts, ideas, questions, critiques!? I'd love to hear your opinions below.

Powered by Blogger.