Local Spotlight: Selma Aljic

selma16

selma5

selma17

selma10

selma18

selma12

Tell me about yourself.

I'm Selma (obv), 18 and constantly hoping for bigger and better things. I love art and fashion and food! Especially gross greasy fast food. Lately I've been putting myself 'out there' and trying to get a modeling career started. I want to make a name for myself, and i want to be someone that people are inspired by to do great things for themselves. I try to keep a positive outlook on life, and spend a lot of time with my family and boyfriend. I'm very saucy and sarcastic, and am very loyal to the people I'm closest to.

Tell me about what you are wearing today (what you wore to the photoshoot).

Corduroy A-Line skirt in green from Forever 21, Canyon River Blues Floral button up shirt with back zipper detail from Sears, BC footwear atmosphere lace up wedge from DSW, head scarf from my mom's closet and flowers from the rose garden.


Tell me about your personal style.

My personal style is all over the place, I just like pretty things - I have skin tight bodycon dresses, mini skirts and tight jeans in my closet, mile high stilletos, and at the same time i have plenty of loose floral dresses, vintage inspired tops and dresses, tons of lace . I mainly wear black though, because I think it's sexy. I think beige is really hot too, but I don't find a lot of things in beige that look nice..

So you model, have you thought about it as a professional career in the future? How did you get into modeling?

I would love to model professionally! That would sort of be a dream come true if I could make a living standing in front of a camera. Haha. I got into modeling when I was really young, around 10 or 11 I begged and begged my mom to find me an agent and eventually we signed with The Peak Agency in Des Moines. I did a lot of print modeling for some department store in Minneapolis back then, and a few commercials, a better homes and garden spread, you know, Nothing too fancy or impressive, but it all helped me to realize that this was something i was good at and could do for a really long time. Everything about me changes when i model, I feel like a different person in front of a camera. I love it.

Where do you get your inspiration?

A lot of my inspiration stems from hours spent drawing and designing my own dresses. I've been drawing nearly my entire life it feels like, and I'm not half bad (if I say so myself). and i guess the rest of it came from watching too many episodes of ANTM (America's Next Top Model) and reading a lot of magazines.
If you could live in any time period what would it be and why?

This ones hard. I really like the time period we're living in right now. I think it's a lot of fun being surrounded by so much technology. The 90's were cool though, It would've been sweet to be 18 in the 90's.

Do you have a style icon?

I don't really have a style icon, I sort of just look at what people are wearing in the magazines, whats "in" for fall and spring, and sort of create my own idea of what looks good and what doesn't. Although, I do love kiera knightley's style. I think she's a babe.

Where are your favorite places to shop?

I love shopping online, I always try and find weird new websites and order from there. Right now I'm in love with Papaya.com, which is sort of like a better looking Forever 21 in my opinion. And I love Shopruche.com. They both have really cute clothes. When I'm shopping at stores in Des Moines though I usually end up gravitating towards Target, Forever 21, and stores like Goodwill, Salvation Army and even Plato's Closet. I like second hand clothing as much as I like brand new clothing.

What are your passions?

My passions are painting, I love to paint, if I could spend most of my days painting i would, but usually I'm too busy running around doing silly things like cleaning and homework. I also love reading, it's almost unhealthy how much time I spent cooped up in my room reading by myself. I think I like books more than people most of the time. And I guess Peter's a passion too haha. If I'm not with Peter, then I'm usually at home by myself painting or reading.

What are 5 things you cannot live without?

I cannot live without my phone, desserts and other sweet things, my little brother, cute boots, and tights. I have soo many pairs of tights.


What do you think about the style in Des Moines?

I think the style in Iowa for the most part is very normal, there's not a whole lot of adventure in most peoples closets, and that's fine, most of the people here seem well put together. There's a few people wherever I go in Des Moines that always impress me with how they dress, there's always someone standing out in the crowd and I like that. It's not over-bearing having everyone dress in the latest fashion, or all the same, most people seem to have defined their own taste and know what looks good on them and what doesn't.

What do you like most about Des Moines? Is there anything you’d like to see change/happen here?

I love how quiet Des Moines is, which isn't to say that there is never anything going on (because there usually is), but it's just so peaceful. It's easy and relaxing here, there isn't the big city noise and smells and crowds, but it's still a nice, growing city, it's sophisticated and i love how we take care of our old historical buildings and try to keep Iowa's history intact.

What do you like to do in your spare time?

In my spare time, I usually do what I listed in my passions haha. Sometimes I spend hours just sitting in front of the t.v. though, I feel like it's good to be a couch potato every once in a while.

Is there anything else you’d like my readers to know about you?

Not really!


Powered by Blogger.