Local Spotlight: Mackenzie Burger

72311-28
what she wore: reconstructed dress by her, rose blouse thrifted, and gold flats Isaac Mizrahi for Target
72311-23

72311-25

72311-27

72311-24

72311-22

Tell me about yourself.

I am graduating from the University of Northern Iowa with a degree in Textiles and Apparel after I complete my internship at Vitae Design Collective later this month. Vitae is a local boutique that sells locally designed and made clothing, jewelry, and accessories. For my internship I am working on a marketing plan for the store and also designing a collection to sell at the store.

Where are you from?

I grew up in Waterloo, Iowa but moved to Cedar Falls, Iowa in high school. They are right next to each other.

What made you decide on your major?

When I was a sophomore in college I had actually gone to 3 different schools already and was kinda stumped on what to do, so I went to Career Services and seriously took a career aptitude test. My results were "Costume Designer" or "Artist" so I took into classes to both and Textile and Apparel just fit.

Did you sew when you were younger?

In high school I was interested in crafts and did a little hand sewing with that but I really didn't learn how to sew until a couple years ago.

What are your passions?

I love anything creative. I enjoy crafting, thrifting, makeup and hair, and I'm just getting into biking.

Have you been to Des Moines before this summer?

Mostly for family and school trips to Adventureland!

What do you like most about Des Moines?

I like how it’s a big city in Iowa, a whole different world. You can tell that Des Moines is trying to be attractive to young adults and there are always activities going on.

What do you think about the style in Des Moines?

The people who come in Vitae are cute. I think that most people in Iowa just don't put the time into trying a lot of the time. But of course there are some stylist guys and gals here.

Is Des Moines permanent for you?

I'm actually moving to Washington DC in August.

How did you get into blogging?

I've followed blogs for over a year, finally decided to take the plunge and do it myself.

Who are your favorite bloggers?

Bleubird, A Beautiful Mess, Selective Potential, Here's Looking at Me Kid, just to name a few.

Where do you get your inspiration?

For my outfits, I'll usually start with a piece of clothing I love and build around that. I wear a lot of dresses so it's always challenging to come up with new ways to style them.
As for sewing, I'm inspired a lot by vintage patterns, magazines, online shopping, or even a mood.

What are some of your favorite stores, shops, etc?

Vitae, Mohair Pear in Cedar Falls, Target, Urban, Zara. I can't actually afford to shop at my favorite stores right now though, so I'm thrifting and going to Platos Closet a lot.

Is there anybody in particular that influences you and/or your style the most?

There's not one particular person, but the blogging community as a whole. It's inspiring to see people remixing clothing. I'm trying to buy more basic clothing so I can style them up in different ways.

Is there anything you can tell me about your upcoming clothing line?

For my upcoming collection I've been really inspired by vintage clothing and silhouettes. There is a lot of floral, lace, gathered skirts, and polka dots! I tried to make wearable designs that would be fun for anyone. I'm putting my clothing out at Vitae next week, as well as launching my Etsy shop!

Is there any advice you’d like to give to fellow bloggers?

Don't give up! I've only been blogging a few months and there have been days that my clothes don't fit right, my pictures turn out horribly, and I scrap a post entirely. I really think it's worth it to stick with it, if its something you really want to do! Also, you don't have to have the perfect life and be a model to blog.

Is there anything else you would like my readers to know?

Thanks for reading this interview. It was great to meet Meanz and I want to thank her for the opportunity! Also, stop by my blog, Reasons to Celebrate, and say hello. I've love to meet you all!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To check out a few more pictures and a couple of the both of us you can check out my flickr here.

Also, don't forget to check out Mackenzie's lovely blog: Reasons to Celebrate.

I will keep you all updated on some of her ventures such as her etsy shop, but in the meantime, you can follow her adorable blog yourself!

I hope you all enjoy this post and have a lovely Sunday!

PS: To see what I wore on this day, click here.
Powered by Blogger.